Saturday, December 10, 2011

Polos for a Party

  Hi there again! I intended on this post to be about covering the cork board but my plans got sidetracked when I realized how cold it was outside.
  In light of the weather I decided to refashion two adult polo shirts I thrifted on Thursday into long sleeved kids polo shirts for my older son.
Knowing we had a big Christmas party to go to today that would be held in a giant concrete always chilly building and his grand total of 3 long sleeve shirts are all dirty from the school week, out came the sewing machine and the fleece I bought at Walmart on sale for just this sort of project.
I started with the red polo shirt, and chose a dark (almost black) blue fleece for the sleeves.



The bright and quite possibly a woman's polo shirt.


I liked the color and this nice neat snap front for the school days  when  he has his hair done.
I flipped the shirt inside out, cut the sides down and started sewing from the cuffs down.
I actually didn't use a matching thread...I love this pale mint green thread though! and it isn't noticeable on the other side.
The completed shirt, you wouldn't know it was a 50 cent woman's polo would you?

On him at the party today. His choice not mine he had no idea I made it just for this :D  I feel sneaky somehow! 

A little long but leaves him room to grow up like he seems to every other day :) 

Would you believe he just turned 5? He is so hard to get pictures of he is always in motion!

And for the other polo shirt I'm not sure I like it as much but here is the before and after of that one:


    Well there you are, my first diy mini tutorial/walk through project. Not bad for a total cost for 2.50 in fabric/thrifted shirts and a little time. 
  I'm off to decorate my Christmas tree, soothe my teething fussy baby and maybe get some late night crafting and sewing done for Christmas presents I have slated to rush through. More shirts, pajama pants for the boys and the hubby, that cork board for my sister (yes I decided my teenage sister would get the most use out of it...now if only she were girly or liked retro/modern fabrics!) and a few other gifts...
Happy Holidays!
Bonnie M

7 comments:

  1. wow, darling, this is totally amazing idea, u're so creative!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cute! You are very talented. I wish I could sew like this... Looks great and stylish on your little sweet boy :)
    Good luck!

    skinnymoonstick.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a great refashion- your son is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great refashion! I really need to learn how to sew, the possibilities would be endless!

    http://alittlebitoflacquer.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh that was such a great idea! The end result came out great! How cute is your son! :)

    -j
    TORY BURCH GIVEAWAY

    ReplyDelete