Monday, September 9, 2013

PR&P 7: Oliver & S Popover Sundress Remix (My Boy Version)

Hi there guys!
As many of you know; Project Run and Play Season 7 started today. And I am hoping to sew along with an outfit or piece of clothing for each of my younger two children as they both just went through super growth spurts and really need clothes!
I am sewing exclusively from my stash that I have already-both fabrics and refashioning clothes-So there will probably be quite a bit of refashioning by way of resizing going on at my house this month.

Week One is the pattern remix week and this season the pattern is the Oliver & S Popover Sundress.
This pattern is a A-line sundress with shoulder ties so it was a pretty basic starting point. At first I wasn't sure how I should remix the pattern for my 2 year old son. Shoulder ties are definitely not boyish and boys really don't have a whole lot in the A-line garment department other then maybe a rain coat. But alas I don't have the right fabric for a raincoat! How sad...my son will be needing one soon here in rainy Oregon.
Anyone know how to turn regular fabric into raincoat fabric?
My next thought was a t-shirt...but I have never made one in a woven! Is there such a thing?
I kept thinking I had seen something similar and I had Max California Woven Tee Awesomeness!
So I decided to try that. At first I tried to use Sewing Mama RaeAnna's Scrubby Jams Top pattern to combine with the Popover to get a good woven tee and well...I had no idea what I was doing so I turned  my 2 year old woven tee project quickly into a colorblocked blue tunic for my 8 month old daughter.

Sooo...On to a knit version I thought-I could do that! Make a color blocked knit tee for my son with a gentle A-line shape out of 2 thrifted adult tee shirts? Totally doable! But obvious...Did everyone else with a boy think color blocked tee shirt too? Oh well =D Onward with the cuteness!

I took a thrifted black Dutch Bros. Boulevard-tee that I had previously refashioned into a maternity shirt when pregnant with my daughter and a super soft red "Popchips" shirt (what are popchips? does anyone know?)  and drafted my franken pattern knit tee using the Popover for the body and I used Dana @ Made's Basic Tee to modify the armscye. I also used her sleeve pattern piece, lengthening it to be elbow length on my son. I made the A-line much more gentle, the back is more narrow widthwise then the front, I cut out a 4t on the Popover and shortened it, used the top as my color block seam to keep the pattern lines-changing the armholes to use the Basic sleeve took away that little scalloped armhole bit the original sundress has.









I do think it turned out pretty great-the A-line is there but not to obvious and girly and the color blocking somehow reminds me of a 50's rockabilly shirt :) I almost added a flaming 8-ball applique.

I will update with pictures of it on sometime this week after I post my girl remix :) that was much easier! And I am hoping to get some pants made to go with this shirt, he really needs basic everyday wearing clothes.

Ta Ta for now!
Bonnie MS

Linking up to the PR&P Linky Party and Get Your Crap Together's Fall Clothes Party

7 comments:

  1. Love it! I'm so glad you posted it!! Can't wait to see your girl look!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, this is awesome. Definitely rockabilly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love it! And hahaah I came over here to comment and then saw your adorable little link back to me! Thank you! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very clever! Love that you remixed it for a boy! I'd love for you to link your outfit to our Fall Clothing Party!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE this! It makes such an awesome t-shirt. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A boy's shirt???? YOU ARE AWESOME. (Enough said)
    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the simplicity of this tee. It holds true to the original dress lines, but is perfect for a boy! Great job.

    ReplyDelete